Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant Virtual Museum

X-533 Electrical Switchyard

Click on the thumbnails below to see a larger version of the picture.

X-533 Electrical Switchyard
X-533 on November 17, 1955 W Switchhouse Extension looking northeast
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
X-533 on December 21, 1955 looking northeast at West Extension
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
X-533 on December 21, 1955 looking northwest at East Extension
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Aerial view of the high voltage X-533 Electrical Switchyard Complex,
July 8, 2006
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Putting the size of the Switchyard Complex into perspective- a southwest view of the plant on the left with the Switchyard on the right
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Switchyard complex looking southeast from 27th Street, March 23, 2009
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Switchyard Complex looking west from corner of 27th Street and Greene Avenue, 2009
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Switchyard Complex looking northwest from corner of Greene Avenue and
20th Street
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Switchyard Complex looking southwest from the X-611 Water Treatment Plant
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
A synchroscope located in the control room. In AC electrical power systems, a synchroscope is a device that indicates the degree to which two systems (generators or power networks) are synchronized with each other.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
The oscillograph in the Control House control room measured variations of electric current by forcing it through a magnetic coil. Variations in current induce momentum in the coil can be directly measured.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Main Control Boards in the control room monitor and control the power of the switchyard.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Switchgear (13800 Volts) - The X-533 Switchyard contained 13 switchgears with seven housings on top of the East Switch House and six on top of the West Switch House. Each high voltage switchgear is any switchgear used to connect or disconnect a part of a high voltage power system. They are essential elements for the production and safe operation of a high voltage power system.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
There were 24 air compressor units in the East and West Switch Houses.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
A condenser synchronous, used to control voltage flicker in power distribution in a substation; each Switch House contained two large units and three smaller units on its roof.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Lube oil pumps pumped oil and created oil pressure into the synchronous condenser. It moved the middle of this condenser into place until the rotation speed held by itself. There were a total of eight systems in the East and West Switch Houses.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Interior lighting system for the East and West Switch Houses
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
First cuts were made at the X-533 switchyard on February 11, 2010.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Final wire is cut at the X-533 on September 20, 2010.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Last tower falls on September 30, 2010.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Last tower falls on September 30, 2010.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Last tower falls on September 30, 2010.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
X-533 D&D Crew photographed following the fall of the last tower
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Removal of the X-533 Control Room siding on October 16, 2010
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Removal of large condenser on
October 7, 2010
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
X-533 Switch House demolition work on October 29, 2010
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Debris is size reduced using demolition shears.
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Demolition of the X-533 Condenser Supports on November 1, 2010
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Switchgear removal on
November 17, 2010
X-533 Electrical Switchyard
Switchgear removal on
November 17, 2010
   

Home FACILITY HOME      Information FACILITY INFORMATION      Videos VIDEOS      Pictures PICTURES     Interviews INTERVIEWS

Return to Plant Map
 
HOME|HISTORY|PHOTOS|VIDEOS|LOCAL IMPACT|NEWS ARCHIVE|SOURCES|CONTACT US

PortsVirtualMuseum.org is operated and managed by Fluor-B&W Portsmouth for DOE

Site designed and maintained by Westside Media