The United States Office of Education approved federal aid for construction of permanent schools in the area.
Temporary schools were constructed with federal funds as follows:
Jasper District: Approximately 1/4 mile west of Jasper on a 10-acre site, a 13-room elementary school. Occupancy was scheduled for January, 1955. The contract was awarded to H & N Construction Company and Blake Brothers of Columbus at a cost of $223,050 in July, 1954.
Piketon District: This district consisted of an 11 room elementary school with access walks leading from Public Housing Authority housing. The 10 acre site was adjacent to the east edge of the PHA project on Route 124 one mile east of Piketon. The contract was awarded to H&N Construction Company and Blake Brothers of Columbus at a cost of $192,050 in July, 1954.
Scioto District: Adjacent to the southwest corner of the Wakefield trailer court on a 10-acre site was an 18-room elementary school. Occupancy was scheduled for January, 1955. The contract was awarded to Knowlton, Inc. of Bellefontaine, Ohio at a cost of $298,800 in July, 1954.
Under the permanent school program, a new 14-room elementary school was constructed at the northwest corner of re-routed State Route 124 and State Route 220. At Waverly, an 18-room elementary school was constructed.
Federal Aid for Construction of Permanent Schools
|Piketon No. 1||$476,450|
|Piketon No. 2||$225,500|
|Clay Township-Scioto Co.||$256,350|
|Valley Township-Scioto Co.||$518,700|