Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant Virtual Museum

Take a Look Inside the Plant

GAS CENTRIFUGE URANIUM ENRICHMENT (1979 - Current)

Gaseous Diffusion was a very power intensive and costly way to enrich uranium. In the late 1970’s the U.S. Department of Energy decided to deploy a more efficient form of uranium enrichment called Gas Centrifuge Enrichment. Construction on the Gas Centrifuge Enrichment Plant (GCEP) at Portsmouth began in 1979. However, by the mid-80’s, demand for nuclear power in the world had diminished and GCEP was shuttered. A privately owned uranium enrichment company, the United States Enrichment Corporation (USEC) leased the GCEP buildings in 2002 to begin work on a new advanced centrifuge. Learn more at www.centrus.com.

Cleanup

(1989-Current)
Gaseous Diffusion Uranium Enrichment

(1952-2001)
Gas Centrifuge Uranium Enrichment

(1979-1985 & 2005-2017)
Current Footprint



X-100 Administration Building

X-100 Administration Building
The X-100 Administration Building was the main hub for the management of the Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant. This two-story building was built with wings in four directions surrounding a secure three-level (Including a basement level) records vault where classified...

learn more
X-101 Dispensary Building
(Hospital)

X-101 Dispensary Building (Hospital)
The X-101 Dispensary Building (Hospital) was the on-site facility where plant personnel could get most medical care in connection with the plant operation. Employees went there for routine yearly check-ups, were fitted for prescription safety glasses, and medical staff...

learn more
X-102 Cafeteria

X-102 Cafeteria
X-102 was an employee cafeteria with dining areas that could be separated and used to host more private gatherings such as employee recognition dinners, or for guests visiting the plant. Breakfast and lunch were served each day to hundreds of employees. A rotating menu...

learn more
X-326 Process Building

X-326 Building
Construction of the X-326 began in 1952. The final unit was completed and turned over on February 3, 1956. The primary differences between the X-326 process system and the systems in the X-330 and X-333 were that the stage compressors were centrifugal rather than axial flow...

learn more
X-330 Process Building

X-330 Process Building
Construction of the X-330 began in 1952. The final unit was completed and turned over on July 14, 1955. The equipment in the X-330 was similar to that of the X-333 except for necessary size and capacity changes to service the installed process equipment...

learn more
X-333 Process Building

X-333 Process Building
Construction of the X-333 started in 1952. The final unit was turned over on November 4, 1955. The X-333 building housed the largest of the enrichment process equipment. The facility housed eight units of 33 or “000” size (640 stages) equipment...

learn more
X-342 Feed Vaporization & Fluorine Generation Facilities

Construction of the X-342 began in 1952 and was completed on August 4, 1954. The original purposes of the facility were to feed and sample UF6 and to generate and purify fluorine. Once it was received and weighed at the facility, vaporization of the feed material was accomplished...

learn more
X-343 Feed & Sampling Facility

X-343 Feed & Sampling Facility
Construction began in 1978 and the facility became operational on June 1, 1982. It was designed to vaporize UF6, which had been received in 10 and 14 ton cylinders in a solid state, before feeding to the cascade for enrichment. It replaced the existing Feed Vaporization Facility...

learn more
X-344 Feed Manufacturing/ UF6 Sampling Facility

Construction of the X-344 began in 1952 and was completed some time in 1957. The X-344 was originally designed as a feed manufacturing facility to produce Uranium Hexafluoride (UF6) from Uranium Tetrafluoride (UF4). The facility included four fluorination towers...

learn more
X-533 Electrical Switchyard


In an arrangement made between the Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant and the Ohio Valley Electric Corporation (OVEC), the X-533 Electrical Switchyard complex was one of two high voltage switchyards that together provided up to 2,200 megawatts of power...

learn more
X-600 Steam Plant


The X-600 Steam Plant was built between February 1953 and September 1954 to provide all the steam required for process and building heating purposes, cleaning equipment and various other uses throughout the gaseous diffusion plant. The building was upgraded...

learn more
X-746 Shipping & Receiving Facility

The X-746 was a one floor, steel frame building, constructed in 1954. It was originally designed to be the Uranium Material Handlers Building, but instead was used as a high assay shipping and receiving building from the 1950s until about 1971...

learn more
X-760 Building


Construction of the X-760 was completed on April 27, 1954. It was used as a chemical test and small-scale instrumentation test building to improve the gaseous diffusion process. Methods to recover uranium from solutions, studies of uranium hexafluoride releases...

learn more
X-770 Mechanical Testing Building

The X-770 Mechanical Testing Building was constructed in 1955. The two-story building provided research and development testing, and was designed to evaluate the performance and reliability of compressors, convertors, and equipment associated with the uranium...

learn more
   
 
HOME|HISTORY|PHOTOS|VIDEOS|LOCAL IMPACT|NEWS ARCHIVE|SOURCES|CONTACT US

PortsVirtualMuseum.org is operated and managed by Fluor-B&W Portsmouth for DOE

Site designed and maintained by Westside Media