History of the Plant
In April 1952, the United States Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) announced a proposed new expansion of the nation’s atomic energy program in support of the Cold War. A major part of the expansion would be a new gaseous diffusion plant to increase the production of fissionable materials. On July 15, President Truman signed a bill appropriating funds for the expansion and the AEC outlined the scope of the program, which included additions to the gaseous diffusion facilities in Oak Ridge, TN and Paducah, KY as well as the construction of a new plant at a site in the Ohio River Valley not yet selected. The total cost of all the new additions to increase production of U-235 was approximately $2 billion.
On August 12, 1952 the commission announced the selection of a site in Pike County, Ohio for the new plant. The selection of the Pike County site was made only after extensive investigation of many possible locations scattered over much of the nation. Primary considerations in the choice included the ability to obtain immense amounts of both interim and permanent power, a large and dependable source of water, and adequate potential labor supplies.Read More